Painting with nature is such and easy and inexpensive crafting activity. It’s hard to remind yourself that you don’t always need to buy crafting products when you have plentiful craft accessories outside.
You’re not limited by your craft accessories either because nature can be used in a variety of ways. All you have to do is go outside for a little nature hunt.
What you’ll need to paint with nature:
- Anything in nature, yes really! Try gumnuts, dried bankisa flowers, acorns, sticks, seed pods and more!
Painting patterns with nature
Before painting or rolling the natural materials in nature, be sure to encourage your children to look closely at their natural materials. It’s the perfect opportunity to encourage nature appreciation and build your child’s vocabulary.
I like to let my kids take the lead with most activities and all my girls wanted to do was to roll the different natural materials in paint and stamp or rolling the patterns onto the page.
There’s something delightful about letting your kids get their hands dirty and rolling nature around on a piece of paper. It’s a great sensory experience that builds fine motor development and creativity! Best of all, your kids will love it!
Way to painting with nature
There are plenty of other ways to paint with nature and create interesting textures and patterns.
Try these ideas:
- Place a piece of paper in the bottom of a tray, cover the nature in paint and drop it into the tray. All that’s left to do is shake the tray around.
- Don’t just paint on paper, paint on leaves and bark too!
- Hang some paper up on a backyard fence and throw your painted nature at the paper.
- Place paper on a slop and roll painted nature down a hill
The messier your children’s fingers, the more lovely the patterns and textures that are created.
Have you tried animal dot painting? So much fun!
Don’t throw away your beautiful paper. Use it as wrapping paper. It’s looks gorgeous topped with hole punched leaves or nature accessories.
Have you painted using nature lately?
Make more patterns with nature