There’s nothing quite like watching kids participate in animal yoga outside. They love it!
It’s relaxing, builds breathing awareness and self-inquiry, while also being a safe and calming activity for kids. It really connects your child to the natural world too.
The benefits of Animal Yoga for Kids
- The physical action of yoga refines balance and coordination
- It develops focus and concentration
- Yoga boosts self-esteem and confidence
- It strengthens the mind-body connection
( Visi Talik on Parents.com, 2014)
When you take animal yoga outside, children will also:
- Build animal empathy
- Strengthen their connections to place
- Enhance their knowledge of the natural world, and
- stimulate their senses
Animal Yoga Cards
Due to popularity, I’ve made these stunning Animal and Nature Yoga Cards that will help your children, if they need a little bit of inspiration. The packs includes 12 yoga cards, three posters and 2 fun, interactive dice.
How to enjoy Animal Yoga with the kids
- Take your children outside.
- Ask your children to move into a circle.
- Go around the circle and get children to say the name of an animal that they feel close to, or can relate to.
- Now ask your child to make up their own pose that represents the animal they chose.
- Get the children to close their eyes.
- While your children hold their pose, ask them to imagine that they are the animal they chose. Or, if they were an eagle they could imagine themselves flying over the the tree tops.
- Go around the circle and try each other’s animal yoga poses.
- After the children try each other’s poses, sit down and talk about what they visualized.
Try their animal yoga poses:
Snake animal yoga pose
Owl animal yoga pose
Hedgehog animal yoga pose
Animal Yoga is perfect for schools, childcare centers and home. It’s also the perfect activity to relax your group before starting a new activity, rest time or bed!
Get the our printable nature and animal yoga cards at our shop!