We all know yoga has many benefits, but I’m sure there are plenty of kids out there—especially the ones that are a little wild—who would struggle to follow a yoga routine from start to finish!
There’s nothing quite like watching active kids participate in animal yoga, those wild ones calm down in minutes. It’s a relaxing, quiet activity that’s keeping their body focused.
The benefits of Animal Yoga for Kids
- The physical action of yoga refines balance and coordination
- It develops focus and concentration
- Yoga boosts self-esteem and confidence
- It strengthens the mind-body connection
( Visi Talik on Parents.com, 2014)
When you take animal yoga outside, children will also:
- Build animal empathy
- Strengthen their connections to place
- Enhance their knowledge of the natural world, and
- stimulate their senses
Animal yoga for kids is relaxing, builds breathing awareness and self-inquiry, while also being a safe and calming activity for kids. It connects your child to their natural world too.
How to enjoy Animal Yoga with the kids
- Take your children outside.
- Ask your children to move into a circle.
- Go around the circle and get children to say the name of an animal that they feel close to, or can relate to.
- Now ask your child to make up their own pose that represents the animal they chose.
- Get the children to close their eyes.
- While your children hold their pose, ask them to imagine that they are the animal they chose. Or, if they were an eagle they could imagine themselves flying over the the tree tops.
- Go around the circle and try each other’s animal yoga poses.
- After the children try each other’s poses, sit down and talk about what they visualised.
Animal Yoga Cards
Want to make Animal Yoga even easier to embed into your home or classroom routine? The packs include 12 yoga cards in each pack, three posters and 2 fun, interactive dice. They’re printable so you can start right away!
Try our kids animal yoga poses:
Snake animal yoga pose
Owl animal yoga pose
Hedgehog animal yoga pose
Animal Yoga is perfect for schools, childcare centers and home. It’s also the perfect activity to relax your group before starting a new activity, rest time or bed!
Get the our printable nature and animal yoga cards at our shop!