This nature heart garland may look complicated, but it is remarkably easy to make! Gather some leaves and spend time getting crafty with your family on Valentine’s Day (or any day!).
Room decorations are a wonderful way to bring your kids’ (or your own) rooms to life. What better way to decorate a living space than with natural materials from your very own back yard? Bring the outdoors to your home or patio with this beautiful garland craft.
What you’ll need
- Leaves and soft bark (we used paperbark)
- Heart hole punch
- Glue gun
How to make a nature heart garland
- To make this beautiful nature heart garland you must first collect many different leaves and some soft bark. Search for flat, thick leaves and soft bark that you could cut with scissors. Pick leaves and bark with beautiful patterns, and colours.
- Use the heart hole punch to cut your leaves and bark out.
- Lay your string (ours was o1.2 metres long) on a table and cut out the sections that will hang down. You can make any pattern you like with the string. It could go long to short, short to long, or a mixture of lengths that don’t create a pattern.
- Tie the strips of string to your longest piece of string.
- Spread the heart shapes out and mix them up to get the effect you want.
- Use the glue gun to stick your leaf and bark shapes onto your strips of string.
- Tie your garland up somewhere that you will see if every day. I took this outside for the photo but it resides near my study window. It makes me smile every time I look at it.
If you try this craft yourself, I would be excited to see your finished garland! Shoot me an email or tag Mother Natured on social media – I love seeing these craft activities being enjoyed by others.
If you are reading this before Valentine’s Day, I wish you a lovely joy-filled day with your family or significant other.