I love when learning is built on an interest. The interest here is a simple rose from a popular movie. Yep, I’m talking about the new Disney live action Beauty and the Beast movie that everyone, including me, can’t get enough of right now.
When I saw a rose study on the lovely Momducator’s instagram feed (do check out her awesome feed), I knew my girls would love it to bits and if I added a few extra learning tools (free printable below) they’d get even more value from the rose activity. Momducator gave me permission to run with the Beauty and the Beast Rose Activity as a blog post and I’m so thankful because hopefully you too will have a rose that’s the most popular object in the house!
My girls will never know I’m teaching them nature appreciation, science and math and I did it just by displaying a pretty rose and a few printables on a table!
What you’ll need:
- A freshly cut rose
- A vase or terrarium-style glass jar (I found mine at Kmart but the link I’ve added here is a good one, there’s lots of different types available if you scroll down the page too)
- Rose study printables (download free below)
How to get started with the rose study
Check out the video to see what we did
- Print out the Rose Study printables. The Rose cards are best printed on thicker paper or glued to cardboard.
- Put the rose in a jar or terrarium without any water.
- Place the rose and printables in a location to capture your child’s attention.
- Your child should be drawn to the spot right away. Look at the rose and talk about it together.
- Look at the printables and discuss them. Ask your child the questions on the Rose study printable.
- Go to the rose each day and discuss and record the changes in the rose. Make sure you write down how many petals fell each day. If petals don’t fall, it’s okay to help them along a bit. Shhhhh!
- Once all the petals have fallen off, count the petals on the printable to find out how many the rose had and compare it with your child’s estimate.
Beauty and the Beast Rose study printable -free
If you like this activity you might like the dressing Disney Princesses Nature Style