These animal straw toppers are a simple and creative way to add some fun to your child’s drinks.
They’re bright and cheerful, and they will make your child squeal with delight.
Great news: I’ve made all of these as a free printable! In return, I only ask one thing of you:
Please don’t use single-use plastic straws.
I don’t have a problem with the reusable bamboo straws or cool reusable steel straws that you can use over and over again, but to help our oceans and to reduce landfill, please say no to disposable straws that come with drinks at your local food outlets.
You can also buy paper straws now. Or make your own! You’ll find some instructions for the animal toppers below:
Printable Animal Straw Toppers
What you’ll need
- Download your animal straw topper below (Shark, snake, dinosaur, frog, butterfly or lion)
- Stanley knife (or craft knife)
- Reusable straws
How to make your animal straw toppers
Now it’s time to print out the animal straw toppers and add a little excitement to your child’s drink.
- Print out the animal straw topper you would prefer: Shark, snake, dinosaur, frog, butterfly and lion.
- Stick it onto some thin cardboard (we recycled a cereal packet)
- Wait for it to dry and cut each animal out.
- One the printable you’ll find instructions regarding the line that you’ll need to cut along to slip the straw through and secure the topper. I used a craft knife to cut along the lines.
- Now add your animal straw topper to your straws!
Download the Shark Straw Toppers
The kids will love this one. It’s my daughter’s favourite!
Download the Snake Straw Toppers
Sssslip this on to your straw.
Download the Lion Straw Toppers
Download the Frog Straw Toppers
We also have a free printable frog mask that works perfectly with these frog straw toppers.
Download the Dinosaur Straw toppers
We also have free dinosaur mask printable that work perfectly with the dinosaur toppers.
Download the Butterfly Straw Toppers
We also have a free printable butterfly mask that works perfectly with this butterfly topper.
How to enjoy the animal straw toppers?
There’s a heap of ways you can use these straw toppers. Here are just a few ideas:
- Let your child watch themselves in the mirror when they are drinking, or take a photo to show them what they look like.
- These would fun for an animal party or a play date.
- You can make this activity a guessing game for your child. Put the a blindfold on your child (without them seeing what animal it is) and then get your child to ask you a series of yes and no questions to help them guess their animal.
- Ask your child what animal they are and then discuss how much they know about that animal.
- Learn more about the animal they decide to use for their paper straw topper.
- Ask your child to make the sounds of their animal through the straw.
Make your own paper straws
I found this method of making paper straws really helpful, but if I made my own, I would use plain white (recycled) paper because I wasn’t keen on the printer ink leaking into my children’s mouth.
Yes, a paper straw isn’t as long lasting as a disposable straw – eventually they do soak up the water and break as a result, but we generally only use them for one drink, don’t we?!
There are quite a few businesses reverting to paper straws to help the environment too, so you could take a couple of extra paper straws home if you find them.
I hope you enjoy these animal straw toppers as much as my little ones did.
And thank you for choosing the environmentally friendly option.
[email protected] says
So so so cute Penny! Love them to no end. Sharing and pinning! xoxo P
Thank so much for sharing Pauline. This was the post I was working on with the weird bird beak. I changed it to a snake though and am quite happy with the result.
Okay, that’s hilarious and awesome. Totally making these for my kids. Will pin.
Thank so much for taking the time to comment MJ! So glad you like them and thanks for the Pin 🙂
Danya Banya says
This is all sorts of awesome! Wish I had a colour printer…. Might office works it…
Nawww, ty! The girls love it and the best part is I can do it again and again. They drank so much water today!
these are SO cool!
Mud Hut Mama says
These are so adorable! We will definitely be printing them out and sharing them with friends! I’m pinning this now!
Thanks for sharing them honey. Some people have had quite a giggle seeing these! 🙂
Art Mama says
These are awesome! I think we’d have to have a mirror at the dinner table 🙂
That’s a great suggestion he he he
Erica @What Do We Do All Day? says
This is totally awesome! My boys will love it!
Thanks Erica. Would love for you to share photos if they do 🙂