Do you have some chalk lying around? Can you draw? Take your kids outside for some fun animal chalk drawings this afternoon!
As you’ll notice from the images below, the girls just loved this activity. They not only enjoyed watching me move the chalk around their bodies but they loved pretending to be the animal they’d become.
This activity takes less than ten minutes to create but if you draw a few animals, your kids will interact with the drawings for quite a while after. If it doesn’t rain, they may do it every day until it wears off the pavement. Mine did!
- Choose: Let your child choose the animal they want to become. Of course, you may have to give them a little guidance here if there are some animals you don’t think you could draw. You can also do a surprise animal, where you choose what they become. They love that too.
- Lay down: Ask your child to lay down in a position that would best complement the image you have in your head.
- Draw: Tell your child to freeze while you draw the animal around their body.
- Take a Photo: Take a couple of photos of your child so that they can see what they look like within the picture.
- Look: Ask your child to get up and look at the picture you drew around them. Then let them look at the photo on your camera. They will be very impressed!
Animal Chalk Drawings
Here are eight chalk drawing ideas to inspire you!
Watch the video
Frog Chalk Drawing
Kids will love this one. Be sure to include the frog tongue!
Butterfly Chalk Drawing
This is going to be popular. Kids love to pretend they have glorious wings. This animal chalk drawing help them achieve that look!
Parrot Chalk Drawing
For another winged animal idea, try a bird. We drew a cockatoo as the crest make the drawing a little extra interesting.
Snake Chalk Drawing
This one will make you laugh. Pretend as though your child was eaten by a snake. They will this this is hilarious. Be sure to teach your child to appreciate snakes though and not be scared of them.
Shark Chalk Drawing
Another fun one. Kids love to get a little ferocious and this shark chalk drawing is perfect for that!
Elephant Chalk Drawing
Try drawing an elephant around your child. As you can see, it was a hit for us.
Spider Chalk Drawing
Little spider? This one is perfect for Halloween or a child who loves the creepy crawlies of the world.
Dinosaur Chalk Drawing
Raaawr! Time to pretend you’re a dinosaur. Once you’ve drawn the dinosaur around your child, extend on this activity and print these dinosaur masks for more prehistoric play!
The animal chalk drawing ideas are endless!
As a busy mum, I love activities that take no time to prepare and provide the kids with something fun to do for the afternoon. Best of all, there’s no clean up. I just have to wait for it to rain!
Have you tried animal chalk drawings?