We like spiders, we don’t even mind them in our house. Only the other day I had to remind Miss Panda that, yes we like spiders but that doesn’t mean we should touch them. A momentary lapse of spider love on her part. She really does like them that much.
Due to the popularity of this eight legged creature with my children and the fact that it is almost Halloween, I suggested we make a spider craft. I knew it would only receive positive responses.
What you’ll need for this Spider Craft
- A rock
- Eight short even sticks
- A glue gun
- Googly eyes (see our Eco-friendly googly eyes)
Yep, that’s it. I love activities that you can do without having to go and collect items from the shops.
How to make this spider craft
1. Preparing the spider for your children to paint takes less than 5 minutes. Prepare the glue gun. Glue four stick on one side of the rock and four on the other side of the rock. I did one layer of glue underneath, stuck on the sticks and then went over the top of the sticks with the glue gun. To my surprise, they stuck really well.
2. Once the glue is cool, put it in front of your child and let them paint it.
3. Once it’s painted, add the eyes to the wet paint. We used our googly eye nature replacement (see how to make them here).
4. Let your spider sit out in the sun to dry. The rocks heat up quite a bit so be careful when you try to move them. If the glue has warmed up too much a leg might fall off.
5. Display them somewhere around your house. We added them as a display near our front door. A perfect little creepy crawly display right before Halloween.
Here’s how ours turned out.
The deadly red-backed spider!
We’ve already had a few neighbors comment on our spider craft sitting at the front door. Most don’t like spiders like we do, so they weren’t as enthusiastic about them as we were. We love them and know that most people visiting for Halloween will love them too!
Learn about spiders
Once you’ve finished creating spiders learn all about them too. Here’s some great resources to help:
Do you like spiders?