If your child loves bees, try this bumble bee craft. With only a few natural materials, you’ll have a gorgeous bee to hang around the house.
It’s also the perfect opportunity to learn about these world pollinators and all the things they do for us every single day.
What you’ll need:
- Casuarina seed pods
- Dry leaves
- Paint (yellow, black and white)
- A good craft glue
How to make the bumble bee craft:
1. Glue the casuarina seed pod into the top of the gumnut. It should fit in the gumnut hole perfectly.
2. Paint yellow and black stripes on the gumnut and paint the casuarina seed pod black too.
3. Paint two little white eyes on the casuarina seed pod.
4. Gently paint over the leaves in white paint, so that you can still see the veins of the leaves.
5. When the paint is dry, glue the leaves on the back of the gumnut to make the bee’s wings.
So so easy!
I have a few more activities that will support Miss Possum’s fascination with bees. Below are a few activities we have done and are still doing.
Learn about bees!
- Take your child to see a bee hive show. We went to Super Bee!
- Watch this cool bee video
- Take a closer look at honeycomb
- Did you know that bees are in trouble? Find out how you can help bees!
Want more nature crafts? Visit the Nature Craft Pinterest board for more ideas!
Very cute! Great idea. Beekeeper (me) approved… love it.
Penny Whitehouse says
Naw, thanks Mary. I really must find a local bee keeper that will let Miss Possum and I collect honey. I’d love for Miss Possum to have that experience. Shhh, don’t tell anyone but I’d secretly love to do it myself too!
[email protected] says
This craft is so cute. I would love for you to come link up on our Artsy Play Wednesday kids’ craft linky. Next week I am doing a round-up of BUG crafts and I would love to feature this one if you come link up.