When the Christmas decorations are out in the shops and you’re starting to feel the season’s joy creep under your collar, look to the ground and find some fallen leaves of different colours and sizes. The leaves you find will bring true beauty to your leaf and button Christmas trees, so take your time and enjoy the hunt.
what you’ll need:
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for supporting Mother Natured.
How to make leaf and button Christmas trees
- Gently wipe down the leaves if they are a little dirty.
- To start sewing buttons on your leaf, pass the freshly cut end of the thread through the eye of the needle. It’s easier if you slightly dampen the end of the thread first.
- Pull the thread through the eye of the needle until both thread ends meet.
- Tie a knot in the end of the thread, leaving a tail of at least 1.5 inches.
- To get the best results, ensure you tie the knot three times, adding to the same knot each time to make it bigger.
- Hold the button on the front of the leaf with your thumb and forefinger. Using your other hand, bring the needle up through the leaf, and then the button hole, slowly until the knot hits the leaf. Try to be gentle or the knot will break through the leaf.
- Sew the button on the leaf just as you would sew the button onto material but try sticking to the same holes that you have already made in the leaf.
- Once you’ve finished, turn the leaf over and cut the thread that’s holding the needle. Leave at least 1.5 inches of thread behind with the leaf (see image below).
- Tie the two threads together in a knot. Cut off any excess thread.
- Now sew all the buttons on.
- Once you have finished your buttons. Use the hole punch and punch a star from a leaf of a different colour. Contrasting colours look the best.
- Sew your hole punched star to the tip of your leaf and your Christmas trees are complete.
This leaf and button Christmas tree craft was a delight. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
More Christmas Nature Crafts
- Mini Christmas Tree Decorations
- Grass and gumnut nature craft
- Christmas tree weave
- Christmas gumnut craft
- Christmas star weave
- Pinecone Christmas decoration