We’ve all seen grass heads and chia pets before, but have you ever made an animal grass head?
With only a little bit more effort than a regular grass head, the results are so worth it!
Last year, I became familiar with my sewing machine by making some animal bean bags and continued that friendship by making these DIY animal grass heads.
If you don’t have a sewing machine, don’t worry – you can easily sew your animal shapes by hand too. This is a perfect, simple animal craft activity for kids of all ages to enjoy.
How to make Animal Grass Heads
- Recycled stockings
- A sewing machine or a needle and thread
- Soil (affiliate link)
- Grass seeds (affiliate link)
How to make Animal Grass heads
- Draw the animal shape on a stocking with felt pen (see shapes below).
- Sew or stitch around the shapes. Ensure you leave one end open.
- Cut the surrounding stocking away from the shape.
- Mix 1 cup of soil and 1 cup of grass seed.
- Put the seed and soil mixture into the stocking (see below for specific dinosaur grass head instructions).
- Sew up the open end of the stocking, or use a rubber band to seal the end.
- Soak the animals in water and keep it moist (not wet).
We filled the bottom half of the dinosaur with soil only (no seeds). To get the grass seed and soil mixture into the thin top layer (to make the spikes that line the back), we used a straw. Put the straw down the tube of stocking and fill it up by putting the soil and grass mixture in the straw. This was a great activity to build fine motor skills.
Growing the Grass heads
In less than three days, you’ll see the seeds start to germinate. The roots will come down first. Within 5- 6 days you’ll have a healthy head of grass hair on your animals and enough to start cutting your animal’s hair. Miss Possum loved cutting the dinosaur’s grass spikes!
Dinosaur grass head
Echidna grass head
Caterpillar grass head
We made a caterpillar, echidna, and dinosaur. I’m sure these would make a great porcupine, too! You could make any animal grass head you like. It’s such a fun activity. Why not get inventive and create your own?
What animal grass head or chia pet would you like to make?