This lovely bird nest craft is absolutely gorgeous. It does require parental supervision throughout most of the creation process but it’s totally worth it. Not only will your little ones love making a mini bird nest for themselves but they will love playing with it after it’s made too. Check out the video below for a quick how-to.
Bird nest craft materials
- A thick branch
- Drill (with a large drill bit)
- Glue gun
- Small sticks
- Other materials to dress up the nest (bark, vines, feathers)
How to make this bird nest craft
- Cut a thick branch 20cm tall. Ensure you cut the branch so that it sits flat on a table.
- Hold your branch in a clamp and use a drill and large drill bit, to create a concave depression in the top of the branch.
- Head outside with your children and collect a heap of little sticks and other bits and bobs for your nest. We used sticks, bark, vines, feathers and gumnuts.
- If you want your nest to hold a chicken egg. Balance the egg in the concave depression and get your child to glue the sticks to the branch and around the egg. Make sure you don’t glue the sticks to the egg. If the size of your nest doesn’t matter, you don’t need to use an egg at all.Important: please ensure you are fully supervising your child while they use a glue gun. Alternatively, they can tell you where to add the glue and they can add the sticks.
- Decorate your nest with speckled eggs, a chick or a brightly coloured blown out egg.
Watch the bird nest craft video and learn how to make it.
I’m sure your little ones will love this bid nest craft and play activity as much as mine did. With only a few natural materials, a glue gun and a drill it’s super fun to make and brings hours of fun later. If you put it away and bring it out each Easter, it will provide years of fun!
More bird activities?