When you notice vibrant green, yellows, and red leaves falling from above it’s time to get crafty and this butterfly nature craft is a beautiful excuse to use the fallen gems.
They are so much prettier than I ever anticipated. Don’t they look like real butterflies?
Butterfly nature craft materials
How to make the nature butterfly
Check out how to make them!
- Fold a leaf in half and cut it into the the shape of a butterfly’s top wing. Unfold it and split it down the middle.
- Do the same thing to make the bottom part of the butterfly wing.
- With a permanent marker, draw the butterfly wing patterns on all four leaves. Make sure the leaves are mirror images to the other.
- Using the permanent marker, add a cute butterfly face to your stick.
- Using a glue gun, glue the leaves onto the back of the stick.
- Draw the patterns on the back of the leaves and then it’s time to play!
Don’t forget to take the plastic off the butterfly when it’s time to compost your craft.
Extend their learning
Here are some ways you can add learning to this butterfly nature craft:
- Research butterflies and identify which butterfly looks like yours
- Make the full butterfly life cycle with nature
- Discuss the texture and patterns on nature you’re interacting with
- Name the parts of your butterfly
- Explore the changes in your butterfly each day. Why are wings crumpling? Why are they changing colour?
And although coloured leaves are beautiful just as they are, a butterfly nature craft highlights how pretty, by far!
More butterfly activities?
- Top butterfly activities – including a free butterfly mask printable
- Butterfly Barbie wings – free printable
You may also like our
Nature Arts and Crafts Pack
This pack will provide hours of fun, learning,
and creativity for you and your children.
– Over 30 nature arts and craft printables
– Printables include an easy how-to instruction sheet
Just add nature to bring the printable to life!