Let’s make a skeleton with natural materials!
If your kids are loving all these skeleton crafts, why not try making a skeleton using lots of sticks. If it’s not Halloween, it’s still a wonderful way to introduce bones to your child. The best part is that you can go simple and let them create any old skeleton and it’s also perfect for older children, who may like to make a skeleton as accurate as possible.
The hip bone’s connected to the thigh bone… Sorry, I couldn’t help myself!
What you’ll need
- a big rock for the skull
- white and black acrylic paints
Make a skeleton
- Step one is, as always, the most important part of this activity – enjoying time collecting natural materials with your kids. Collect one large rock and lots of thin sticks. Many different sizes works well. Collect some small rocks too!
- Paint the skull on your biggest rock. Watch the video below and it will show you how make a skeleton face. Young children may need some help but it’s pretty simple for older children.
- Place all the materials on the table and let your children create their skeleton. My 6 year olds weren’t sure how to get started, so I printed a little skeleton off to help them with the project.
- Watch them create their skeleton. My girls loved this. They each made their own and each skeleton was quite different.
- Add extra bits of nature to the table and they can even clothe their skeleton too!
I love how many activities we can do with naturals materials. I actually didn’t think of this activity myself this time, my youngest thought it up. It appears the more with do with nature the more creative my children get.
It was so easy to make a skeleton, give it a try with your kids!