I loooove Christmas. Don’t you?!
I love the decorations, the family lunches and I even love the festive chaos.
Okay, maybe I don’t love the chaos so much. I mean, sometimes it all goes so fast that it feels like it’s over before I really started enjoying it.
I’m certain my kids feel it too.
This year is going to be different. Our aim is to slow it down, take it all in and be more thoughtful about how we enjoy our family time together.
If you’re keen to meander your way through Christmas, thoughtfully enjoying everything this beautiful season has to offer, instead of rushing through it and suddenly realising that New Years Eve is… tonight, I have a gorgeous tool that might help.
A Christmas Nature Scavenger Hunt tradition
One of the best way to start your slow-it-all-down Christmas tradition is to explore the natural world together with your family.
I don’t know about you but Christmas takes so much of my attention I forget to notice all the magical nuances of nature. We’re just so busy.
Time in nature is a really great way to calm the busy and our festive themed nature scavenger wheel is a useful tool to direct your attention while you’re out there. Going outside with the objective to find items in nature helps you observe nature in a whole different way.
You look harder, find more and see things you may have never noticed before.
I’ve made two versions, one for my fellow Aussies who experience blistering summer heat each Christmas. And another for the people on the other side of the world who show cool me down by sharing their spectacular frosty mornings on my Facebook page each week.
A huge thank you to Miranda, who helped me get some footage and photos for the winter version of this pack.
Ice would last 30 seconds at my place right now! xx
Check out the videos below to see what’s inside.
Check out what’s inside!
Check out what’s inside!
Christmas Nature Scavenger Wheel
• Christmas Nature Scavenger Wheels
• 12 Peg tags
• A4 Paper or card
• 12 wooden pegs
• Scissors and glue
How to use your Christmas Scavenger Wheel
- Print your scavenger wheel and ‘I found it’ circles on recycled paper or glue your printed paper onto some cardboard.
- Cut out your scavenger wheel.
- Cut out your ‘I found it’ circles and stick them on to some small wooden pegs.
- Go outside with your child to explore the natural world together.
- When your child finds something on the scavenger wheel, show them how to add a peg to the wheel. See if they can add pegs around the whole wheel.
You may not be able to find everything on the scavenger wheel. You found a deer with no antlers? Great! Add a peg. You found a different bird species? Wonderful! That deserves a peg too.
The aim isn’t to find everything on the wheel it’s to slow down, look around you and notice the beauty in nature using a festive Christmas theme.
Christmas Nature Cards
Once you’ve enjoyed the Christmas Nature Scavenger Wheel outside, enhance your child’s learning with these Christmas Nature Cards. There are multiple ways you can use them.
Here are a few simple ideas:
- Set up a Christmas themed nature table space and add some, or all the cards to the table
- Look at the cards together and talk about what you know about each
- Print a double set and play snap or memory with your child
- Hang them us as a garland in your home. Be sure to use pegs so that you don’t damage your cards.
Winter Christmas Nature Cards
Aussie Christmas Nature Cards
Instantly download the
Christmas Nature Scavenger Hunt
& Christmas Nature Card Pack
1 Christmas Nature Scavenger Hunt
12 Christmas Nature Cards
12 peg tags
ONLY $1.99 US
You may also like our
Nature Sensory Scavenger Wheels
How-to lesson plan