There’s so much to love about Christmas but occasionally we get caught up in all the chaos and joyful cheer that we forget to take a moment to notice the natural world that’s flourishing outside our windows.
Slow it all down a little and explore the natural world together with the festive themed Christmas Nature Scavenger Wheel.
I’ve made two versions, one for my fellow Aussies who experience blistering summer heat each Christmas and one for the people on the other side of the world who show off their spectacular frosty mornings on my Facebook page each week.
A huge thank you to Miranda, who helped me get some footage and photos of the winter version of this pack.
Ice would last 30 seconds at my place right now! xx
Check out the videos below to see what’s in the packs
Christmas Nature Scavenger Hunt Wheel
• Christmas Nature Scavenger Wheels
• 12 Peg tags
• A4 Paper or card
• 12 wooden pegs
• Scissors and glue
How to use your Scavenger Hunt Wheel
- Print your scavenger wheel and ‘I found it’ circles on thick A4 paper or glue your printed paper onto some recycled cardboard.
- Cut out your scavenger wheel.
- Cut out your ‘I found it’ circles and stick them on to some small wooden pegs.
- Go outside with your child to explore the natural world together.
- When your child finds something on the scavenger wheel, show them how to add a peg to the wheel. See if they can add pegs around the whole wheel.
You may not be able to find everything on the scavenger wheel. You found a deer with no antlers? Great! Add a peg. You found a different bird species? Wonderful! That deserves a peg too.
The aim isn’t to find everything on the wheel it’s to slow down, look around you and notice the beauty in nature using a festive Christmas theme.
Christmas Nature Cards
Once you’ve enjoyed the Christmas Nature Scavenger Wheel outside, enhance your child’s learning with these Christmas Nature Cards. There are multiple ways you can use them.
Here are a few simple ideas:
- Set up a Christmas themed nature table space and add some, or all the cards to the table
- Look at the cards together and talk about what you know about each
- Print a double set and play snap or memory with your child
- Hang them us as a garland in your home. Be sure to use pegs so that you don’t damage your cards.
Winter Christmas Nature Cards
Aussie Christmas Nature Cards
Instantly download the
Christmas Nature Scavenger Hunt
& Christmas Nature Card Pack
1 Christmas Nature Scavenger Hunt
12 Christmas Nature Cards
12 peg tags
ONLY $1.99 US
Check out what’s inside!
Check out what’s inside!
• Print your scavenger wheel on sustainably sourced or 100% recycled paper.
• Please do not laminate your scavenger wheel.
• If you no longer need your scavenger wheel, please put it in your compost bin.
You may also like our
Nature Sensory Scavenger Wheels
How-to lesson plan