If you see a wild woman and three children searching the ground and picking up leaves, it’s probably us.
If the mother of those children has red hair, I’d say it’s almost certainly going to be me.
We love leaves. Truly. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes and patterns. Some have holes, some have edges that have been chewed on by little creatures.
Every single one is different.
And do you know what leaves are perfect for? They make the best tails to make nature mermaids!
Plus you’ll have plenty of materials to choose from and many different tails to create because leaves are everywhere right now.
You may look rather odd, shuffling around your front yard, head down, eyes searching the ground, but you’ll want to find those unique leaves with colors so brilliant they make the mermaid tail ‘POP’.
Initially, I drew the pictures of the mermaids for this craft but one of my friends asked me how she’d do it because she couldn’t draw.
She was totally right!
So, I decided to make some printables for the mother who struggles with drawing, you know who you are *wink*.
Materials for nature mermaids
- Mermaid nature craft printables – see below
- Natural materials from nature
- Good quality craft glue (optional)
How to make nature mermaids
- Collect a whole heap of materials from outside.
We used the materials from our garden but you can also find us collecting leaves in our local nature reserve too. If you live near the beach, the nature mermaids would look glorious made using sand, shells and seaweed.
- Place all the materials and printables on the table so your child can see all the materials that are available to them.
- Let your child get crafty. They can use glue to create a beautiful artwork to display (make sure the materials are clean and dry if you do decide to use glue) or create a whole bunch of nature mermaids just by changing the materials around on the page.
- Make sure you take photos of their creations!
Can’t draw mermaids?
In this pack you receive a step-by-step instruction page, plus five mermaid printables to get you started with creating mermaids with nature. You’ll need nothing else because you only have to step outside to collect your natural materials!
You may also like our
Nature Arts and Crafts Pack
This pack will provide hours of fun, learning,
and creativity for you and your children.
– Over 30 nature arts and craft printables
– Printables include an easy how-to instruction sheet
Just add nature to bring the printable to life!