I seem to be spending a lot more time in the kitchen lately and I can’t help but throw a wildlife spin on it. If you’ve ever made pancake or pikelet batter before, you’ll know that it is super flexible when it comes to trying new flavours, adding a funky ingredient, or making fun shapes!
Whether you add a few choc-chips or sprinkle in some hundreds-and-thousands, pancakes are completely customizable for any occasion. I made these animal-shaped pikelets – they’re perfect for a wildlife themed party, don’t you think?
Animal pancake recipe
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 2 table spoons of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
How to make animal pancakes
- Sift the self raising flour into your bowl.
- Place sugar in the bowl.
- Make a well (depression) in the middle of the flour and sugar.
- Mix the milk and eggs together with a fork and tip mixture into the middle of the flour.
- Give it a good stir to get rid of the lump.
- Bring frying pan to medium heat.
- To make the wildlife pancakes: I used a piping bag (a plastic bag with a corner cut off) to help me guide the pikelet batter onto the fry pan. For extra control, I would also suggest making the batter slightly thicker than normal. Secret Tip – If you can’t draw, you could always find animal-shaped metal cookie cutters – easy!
- Flip the wildlife pancake when quite a few bubbles have risen to the top.
- Tip the pancakes onto a plate when fully cooked.
Try making these animal shapes
I hope you enjoy making animal pancakes. My three girls just love them. Their favourite is always the butterfly though. Girls!