Inspiration is an amazing thing. For example, I saw some images on Pinterest showing how to add texture to wood and I was inspired to use a similar technique to make these charming diy wooden stamps. The pictures motivated me so much so, that I was ready to haul myself into our shed and rummage around in the tool box. This has become more common lately.
Now, I’m not too bad with tools and I would say this is an easy craft (even for a novice), but I’d be extra careful of your fingers. I only hammered my finger about eight times! The wooden stamps were totally worth the pain though. Wouldn’t you agree?
My finger is fine by the way. Thankfully my nail remains pink and my finger didn’t fall off!
What you’ll need to make the wooden stamps:
- A thick branch
- A saw <— That one is too cute (pocket sized)
- Sand paper
- A hammer
- A nail (or a few, I kept bending mine!)
- A screw
- A nut
- A chisel (the tool in the picture isn’t a chisel but it’s similar)
DIY Wooden Stamps
- Using a saw, cut a thick branch into sections 12 cm apart.
- Use the sand paper to smooth the top, bottom and edges of the branch sections.
- Grab one of your tools and a hammer. Let’s use the nut for this example. Place the nut on the top, flat side of the wood and then give it one strong hit with a hammer or mallet. The deeper the indent in the wood, the better the stamping effect later on. Space the nut indents out to make a pattern on the wooden top.
- Do this for all the stamps, except for the screw. Place the screw on its side and hammer the side of the screw into the wood.
- You can turn your branch stump over and create another texture on the other side or you can use them like I have, as singular stamps.
- Give the top another slight sand paper when you’re finished.
- Time to paint and play!
We found that the wooden stamps came out better when a towel was placed under the paper.
It’s amazing what inspiration can conjure up. I am truly delighted at how these wooden stamps turned out. Nature inspires me, so it’s easy to get excited about creating with it!