It would be pretty obvious to most that I think Earth Day should be celebrated every day; and we do. Our family regularly connect, craft and play in nature. This Earth Moss Ball is more obvious as an Earth Day craft because, well, it looks like the Earth!
We did have fun making these together. I have three of them now, all hanging from the kids windows in their room and they just love to give it a spray with water every day. The kids love reminding me that they are the clouds and they’re making it rain. So cute!
Children may need some help with this craft but they’ll love getting their hands wet and dirty. The sphagnum moss is so much fun to play with.
Materials for the earth moss ball
This post does include affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Mother Natured.
- Sphagnum moss
- Blue yarn
- White or cream wool (yarn)
Make the earth moss ball
Check out how to make a Earth Moss Ball on the how-to video below.
- Place the sphagnum moss in a bowl of water. Let is soak for a couple of minutes.
- Grab a big handful of sphagnum moss out of the bowl and squeeze most of the water out.
- Squeeze the sphagnum moss together into a ball and wrap the cream coloured wool (yarn) around the sphagnum moss. Some will fall out of your fingers but just keep wrapping until it stops falling out.
- Next, add a piece of moss to the sphagnum moss ball and now wrap the ball with the blue yarn. To hold the moss onto the ball, wrap around the ball making sure to wrap the very edges of the moss too. Once that piece of moss is secure, add the next piece of moss.
- Keep going until you’ve added all the moss you want. When you’re wrapping the moss ball, be sure to wrap around all the moss sections.
- Once you have all the moss on your ball, secure the yarn by threading it under the other yarn on the ball.
- Now use your hands to manipulate the shape of the ball. Gently push the moss into the ball a bit and roll it around to make it a complete sphere.
- Last, tie on another piece of yarn so you can hang the earth moss ball up in your house.
- To maintain your earth moss ball, spray it with water every couple of days.
If you like this craft you will also love moss gumnut planter pots
You can make this Earth Moss Ball any day because Earth Day should be celebrated every day, don’t you agree?