Kids adore building in the garden. They can be simple projects like creating a fairy garden in a small vegetated space, or as complex as building a gorgeous home for wildlife.
I’ve listed 18 wonderful activities that get your kids GROWING in the garden but now it’s time to highlight 18 awesome projects that get kids BUILDING in the Garden.
Garden projects are a wonderful way for you and your children to get outside in the fresh air, give your bodies some active movement and enjoy a calm building activity to wind down after a busy week.
Here are 18 glorious ideas that will get your children building in the garden. Pick one to start this weekend!
18 garden ideas that encourage building
- Build a bee home – Isn’t this bee home just gorgeous! Any little builder would love this project and it’s pretty easy to make too.
- Fairy garden play space – A fairy garden is perfect for little spaces with lots of foliage in your garden.
- Build a spider web trellis – Make like a spider and build this beautiful web trellis in your garden. Children will love seeing climbing plants grow through their creation!
- Make your own garden fairy door – If you have some trees in your garden, a perfect way to make them a little more magical is to build a fairy door and attach it to the base of a tree. This one is simple yet so, so lovely!
- Build mini succulent planter pots – Use branches to build these simple planter pots. So pretty!
- Build a worm tower – A worm tower is incredibly interesting to build and kids love knowing they’re feeding those little squirmy worms in the soil every time they add in some scraps.
- Garden Beach themed fairy house – Have a fairy play space but no fairy house? Time to build one. You can use pretty shells, like this one, or other materials like sticks, leaves and even bark!
- Build a river in your garden – Build a river in your garden and watch it flow when you add water. You could even float little nature boats down it too!
- Build a wildlife nest box – Make a home for wildlife and place it in your garden. You might be providing a resting place for a possum, squirrel or beautiful bird.
- Sundail – This is such a great garden project to make with your kids. Not only is it simple to build but it will teach your child all about the sun and time!
- Mosaic bird bath – Isn’t this bird bath stunning?! It’s not very hard to make either. Do check it out!
- DIY Stepping stones – This would be such a lovely feature in your garden. You could make just one or a whole series, like this one.
- Insect hotel – The more bugs you have in your garden, the more birds you’ll have too. Build little spaces, like this insect hotel, to encourage more bugs in your garden.
- Coffee Mug Bird Feeder – This is such a lovely bird feeder. Just ensure you’re mindful of what you’re feeding wildlife and ensure you’re doing it the right way!
- Bird house – You’ll be shocked at what this bird house it made with. This is a super fun building activity that will teach your children that you can re-purpose more than recycled products!
- Bean Teepee – We can’t forget about getting the kids involved in building a gorgeous teepee. This has to be one of my faves!
- Rock quarry – This is one for the diggers. Build a rock quarry with your kids and there will be guaranteed playtime outside for days and days.
- Butterfly Feeder – Encourage more butterflies to your garden with this butterfly feeder. This is fairly simple to make too!
I hope you enjoy these fun building projects for kids! There’s so many building ideas, it’ll be hard to choose just one!