Kids adore building in the garden. They can be simple projects like creating a fairy garden in a small vegetated space, or as complex as building a gorgeous home for wildlife.
Garden projects are a wonderful way for you and your children to get outside in the fresh air, give your bodies some active movement and enjoy a calm building activity to wind down after a busy week.
Here are 18 glorious ideas that will get your children building in the garden. Pick one to start this weekend!
18 garden ideas that encourage building
- Build a bee home – Isn’t this bee home just gorgeous! Any little builder would love this project and it’s pretty easy to make too.
- Fairy garden play space – A fairy garden is perfect for little spaces with lots of foliage in your garden.
- Build a spider web trellis – Make like a spider and build this beautiful web trellis in your garden. Children will love seeing climbing plants grow through their creation!
- Make your own garden fairy door – If you have some trees in your garden, a perfect way to make them a little more magical is to build a fairy door and attach it to the base of a tree. This one is simple yet so, so lovely!
- Build mini succulent planter pots – Use branches to build these simple planter pots. So pretty!
- Build a worm tower – A worm tower is incredibly interesting to build and kids love knowing they’re feeding those little squirmy worms in the soil every time they add in some scraps.
- Garden Beach themed fairy house – Have a fairy play space but no fairy house? Time to build one. You can use pretty shells, like this one, or other materials like sticks, leaves and even bark!
- Build a river in your garden – Build a river in your garden and watch it flow when you add water. You could even float little nature boats down it too!
- Build a wildlife nest box – Make a home for wildlife and place it in your garden. You might be providing a resting place for a possum, squirrel or beautiful bird.
- Sundail – This is such a great garden project to make with your kids. Not only is it simple to build but it will teach your child all about the sun and time!
- Mosaic bird bath – Isn’t this bird bath stunning?! It’s not very hard to make either. Do check it out!
- DIY Stepping stones – This would be such a lovely feature in your garden. You could make just one or a whole series, like this one.
- Insect hotel – The more bugs you have in your garden, the more birds you’ll have too. Build little spaces, like this insect hotel, to encourage more bugs in your garden.
- Coffee Mug Bird Feeder – This is such a lovely bird feeder. Just ensure you’re mindful of what you’re feeding wildlife and ensure you’re doing it the right way!
- Bird house – You’ll be shocked at what this bird house it made with. This is a super fun building activity that will teach your children that you can re-purpose more than recycled products!
- Bean Teepee – We can’t forget about getting the kids involved in building a gorgeous teepee. This has to be one of my faves!
- Rock quarry – This is one for the diggers. Build a rock quarry with your kids and there will be guaranteed playtime outside for days and days.
- Butterfly Feeder – Encourage more butterflies to your garden with this butterfly feeder. This is fairly simple to make too!
I hope you enjoy these fun building projects for kids! There’s so many building ideas, it’ll be hard to choose just one!