Garden projects area wonderful way for you and your children to get outside in the fresh air, give your bodies some gentle active movement and enjoy a calm activity to wind down after a busy week.
Kids don’t always reap the rewards of their work right away but as they watch the plants grow they are hooked with the the daily changes. Everything is always better if you have to be patient and wait for it.
Here are 18 glorious garden ideas that will get your children growing. Pick one to start this weekend!
18 Garden ideas that grow
- Pansies in a mug – Upcycle your old mugs and create a beautiful garden perfect for windowsills, kids bedrooms and used as gifts for friends.
- Dinosaur grass head – A new take on the regular ‘human’ grass heads, try these wildlife grass heads instead.
- Bonsai gardening for kids – Bonsai’s are a unique way of learning about plant growth and they can be gorgeous mini trees for your little one’s fairy garden too.
- Grow your own mushrooms – Don’t just grow plants, try mushrooms too. Kids will love seeing them pop up!
- Egg heads with cress hair – Use your hollowed egg shells as an adorable little garden. I can guarantee your children will love this idea!
- Make an indoor garden – Many people forget to bring plants inside. It freshens the air and brightens any room.
- Shoe flower pot – This is so unique. Kids will love filling mum’s shoe with soil and seeds. Why not try your child’s shoe too, they grow out of them so quickly. Better yet make a family shoe garden!
- Mini jar terrarium – Terrariums are the best and they are so easy to make.
- Fairy terrarium – Perfect for little boys and girls who love pretend play.
- Wildlife terrarium – Another wonderful take on a terrarium. This time make it wildlife themed!
- Grow Alfalfa sprouts -Have your children ever grown alfalfa? No?! Then this is a must for you. The best part is that they can taste their rewards!
- Jack and the Bean Stalk – This makes growing bean seeds extra fun. What a brilliant idea to bring the story of Jack into this growing activity.
- Egg carton seed starter — This is a lovely way to get your seeds started and kids will love comparing and checking the different types of seeds that are growing.
- Indoor herb Aqua farm – A new take on growing herbs. You get a pet and delicious herbs in one!
- Growing pumpkins from seeds – Grow some pumpkins. It’s a wonderful way to show how big something can grow from a teeny tiny seed!
- Make a wheel barrow herb garden — Old wheel barrow lying around? Turn it into a herb garden. You won’t regret it.
- Gumboot planter – Plant some seeds in old gumboots. It creates such a playful garden for kids.
- Mobile truck garden – Think about using your old toys as planters. I love this truck planter idea. SO creative!
I hope you enjoyed all these garden ideas related to growing. There’s so much fun to be had in the garden and it’s usually not hard to get kids involved in glorious garden projects like this.
Which will you start this weekend?