This Santa and Elf Christmas Gumnut Craft may not have been envisioned without the help of a creative little girl who started twisting wool around the stem of a gumnut. Inspiration comes from many different places but quite a few reach us when we’re already manipulating natural materials.
What you’ll need
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. Thank you for supporting Mother Natured.
- Gumnuts (you may be able to make them with acorns too)
- Glue gun
- Permanent markers
- Any mini seed pods you find
How to make it
- Using a glue gun attach a seed pod to the stem of the gumnut.
- If you would prefer to make a mini pom pom, follow these instructions but use very small circles. I used a tiny washer that I found in our tool box.
- Hold the wool so that 1cm hangs down the edge of the stem.
- Now twist the wool around the stem starting just under the pod (or pom pom), moving down the stem.
- Keep weaving the wool around, covering the 1cm of wool as you go.
- Cut the wool when you get one third of the way down the gumnut and secure it with glue. Cut some white wool and glue on the white edging of the Santa hat (see below).
- To add a beard to Santa, secure the wool to the base of the gumnut with glue and wrap the wool up. Secure it the other edge with glue to finish the beard.
- Santa’s eyebrows are bit of wool, cut to a length of 1cm, glued on his face.
- Lastly, draw on your happy face!
The Santa and Elf Christmas gumnuts crafts make wonderful finger puppets too! Miss 5 had so much fun pretending to be Santa talking to his elves.