Here’s a simple Valentine’s gift idea made using only a few simple items you would already have around your home. I’ve made three of them and will give one to each of my daughters on Valentine’s day. I can’t wait to see their faces and then watch them rip it apart to find a secret message inside. Simple gifts like this are what really warms the heart.
Make the Sewn Leaf Heart
What you’ll need:
- Leaves (you can sew with both leaves that have just fallen or dried leaves, but the green leaves tend not be as fragile.)
- Pretty paper for the secret message
How to make the leaf heart Valentine’s gift
- Collect some leaves. The bigger the better.
- Prepare the secret note. Write on it and roll it up.
- Cut two of the leaves into hearts the same size. It looks great if you can keep the stem of the leaf in the middle.
- Place two of the leaf hearts on top of one another and start to sew around them. You’ll need to be careful here and not get too close to the leaf edge or it will rip. Leaves that are still slightly green are the best for this. Stop 3 cm before you join the other stitching.
- Gently squeeze in the secret message.
- Sew the remainder of the leaf heart together until the stitching meets. Tie it off just as you would if you were hand stitching material.
See! It’s super easy and the end result is a leaf heart gift that’s unique and special. Perfect for children to make and give as presents to parents, friends to give to friends and parents to give to their children.
More nature craft inspiration? Click here