As you’ll notice from the images below, the girls just loved this activity. They not only enjoyed watching me move the chalk around their bodies but they loved pretending to be the animal they’d become.
This activity takes less than ten minutes to create but if you draw a few animals, your kids will interact with the drawings for quite a while after. If it doesn’t rain, they may do it every day until it wears off the pavement. Mine did!
- Choose: Let your child choose the animal they want to become. Of course, you may have to give them a little guidance here if there are some animals you don’t think you could draw. You can also do a surprise animal, where you choose what they become. They love that too.
- Lay down: Ask your child to lay down in a position that would best complement the image you have in your head.
- Draw: Tell your child to freeze while you draw the animal around their body.
- Take a Photo: Take a couple of photos of your child so that they can see what they look like within the picture.
- Look: Ask your child to get up and look at the picture you drew around them. Then let them look at the photo on your camera. They will be very impressed!
Here are eight chalk drawing ideas to inspire you!
1. Frog Chalk Drawing
2. Butterfly Chalk Drawing
3. Parrot Chalk Drawing
4. Snake Chalk Drawing
5. Shark Chalk Drawing
6. Elephant Chalk Drawing
7. Spider Chalk Drawing
8. Dinosaur Chalk Drawing
The chalk drawing ideas are endless!
As a busy mum, I love activities that take no time to prepare and provide the kids with something fun to do for the afternoon. Best of all, there’s no clean up. I just have to wait for it to rain!
Have you tried animal chalk drawings?