Bellow like a Koala

koalaandjoeyToday you will be provided with an opportunity not readily available on the internet…until now! How to bellow like a koala. I bet you’ve never googled that!

Many children can mimic the sounds of popular animals but most of us wouldn’t know how to ‘speak’ koala. With my demonstration and tips, you will now be able to play the wildlife dice-game in full, with your kids.

With practice you will also be able to grab the attention of those sleepy koalas and make the most of any potential photo shots. Read on and find out how!

This is my first vlog of sorts. It’s not a very attractive introduction; koalas don’t make beautiful sounds that you want to hum along to. Their call can scare people at night and evoke images of a wild supernatural-like creature outside the window.

I’ve been doing it for years – not frightening people outside their window, but bellowing like a koala. My first occupation, out of university, was a koala handler and bellowing came with the job.

Here’s what a real koala bellow sounds like.
Male koala bellow by New Scientist

Before you go ahead and click play, my apologies for talking fast and fumbling through a few sentences. We had tried filming a few times prior but my twinkles and Miss possum wanted part in the action and it was far too distracting. This was our last shot at it before we had to leave.

Here is Miss Possum making the sound.

I hope you’re spewing bellows out at the computer and having a little giggle at the same time. Let me know how you and your children go at it.

Would you like to see more vlogs? What else would you like to see in a Wildlife Fun 4 Kids vlog?

More Koala activities?

Comments

1. Angela says

Wow Penny, how clever! I can’t wait to try this with my kids next time we go visiting a wildlife park. They will be so excited to be able to speak Koala. Well done to Miss Possum too. She is lucky to have such an experienced mum. Thanks for your vlog, I can’t wait to see more :)

• pawhitehouse says

Thanks Ang. Miss Possum has been doing it for a while as you know. I’m looking forward to hearing Tia and Benny have a go next time I see them!

2. Grace Titioka says

Yay !!! Will be sure to try this next time we’re at Wildlife Sydney – which will be soon :-)
    Congrats on your first vlog ! Hoping it’s the first of many x

3. kirri says

I have been telling my hubby about how this is the coolest thing ever! All my years of wanting to get a koala to look at me and you do it in a few seconds!! I have a lot of practicing to do…I sound more like a drowning cat. Will be watching again with my girls when they wake up.

Great work Penny!

4. Brian says

You are really good at bellowing and it is amazing how you caught the Koalas attention. You are right about the sound being scary, I could imagine what I would feel if I hear something like that at night. Anyway, your little girl is doing a great job imitating the sound and in time she will be as good as you. I am curious about your tips though. I think I’ll practice and see if I could do it.

• pawhitehouse says

Thanks Brian. I have been bellowing like a koala for over eight years so I should be good at it! It really does take a bit of practise but wait until you see the koalas turn their heads straight towards you when you get it right. It’s wonderful.

Thanks for dropping by. It’s great to see another man around the place.

5. Susan Stephenson says

Your enthusiasm for wildlife just shines through – I loved the vlog! Are you sure that was a Possum and not a koala??? Sure could have fooled me.

• pawhitehouse says

All my girls have blog nicknames now. Miss Possum, Squeak and Prr. You’re right though, perhaps it should be Miss koala. How about Miss marsupial. Tee Hee. I like that too!

6. Catherine Rodie Blagg says

Oh Penny I love it! I’m just sorry that I didn’t see this before the weekend – we took baby C to a Koala Park for her birthday treat. I’ll see if I can get the girls to do the bellow this afternoon :-)

7. Valerie @ Glittering Muffins says

Very cool post! Thanks for linking them to “Around the World in 12 Dishes – Australia”

Your imitation is incredible. I’ve heard koalas bellow at Raymond Island (VIC). It is an incredible sound. Not what I’d expect from a koala.

You are amazing Penny (and so brave doing a vlog) :) They are great!! I am so intrigue with the sound of a koala now, it certainly isn’t something I expected. I can’t wait to show my girls tomorrow. Your little girl is so cute too! :)

I love it! Haha :) We live in a very busy koala community, they’re always hanging out in the yard. When I first moved here I thought our neighbours dog had a snoring problem LOL Now I know how to talk back to them! I’m definitely going to give it a go and try it with my kids too. Thanks for the awesome vlog!

• Penny Whitehouse says

Oh what a belly laugh! Did you really think it was a the dog snoring? I haven’t heard that before (and I’ve heard a lot of stories about koala noises!)